Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:With George Santos out of Congress, special election to fill his seat is set for February -Capitatum
TradeEdge Exchange:With George Santos out of Congress, special election to fill his seat is set for February
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:58:14
ALBANY,TradeEdge Exchange N.Y. (AP) — A special election to pick a successor to George Santos, the New York Republican who was expelled from the U.S. House last week, will be held on Feb. 13, Gov. Kathy Hochul announced Tuesday.
The race for a seat representing some Long Island suburbs and a small part of the New York City borough of Queens is expected to be a high-profile contest that will mark the start of a year of consequential congressional elections in the state. Both Republicans and Democrats are zeroing in on New York as a key battleground in the fight to control the House.
For Democrats, the election will be a test of the party’s ability to flip districts around New York City that are seen as vital to their plans to retake control. Republicans are entering the contest with heavy momentum in the city’s suburbs and will fight to hold onto the district as they look to maintain their narrow House majority.
Candidates in the special election will be picked by party leaders, not voters.
Former U.S. Rep. Tom Suozzi has emerged as the potential frontrunner nominee for Democrats. Suozzi, 61, previously represented the district for six years, which would help with name recognition. It could mean he has the organizational capabilities to quickly stand up a campaign, vital attributes in an narrowly-focused election where voters will have a short time to pick their representative.
The Democrat announced a campaign for the seat before Santos was expelled and has been boosting a series of endorsements from local politicians and labor groups after the district became vacant.
Also vying for the Democratic nomination is former state senator Anna Kaplan, who has in recent days taken potshots at Suozzi’s record and sought to center the special election on passing federal legislation guaranteeing abortion rights.
On the Republican side, potential names include retired police detective Mike Sapraicone, Air Force veteran Kellen Curry and Nassau County legislator Mazi Pilip, an Ethiopian-born Jewish woman who served in the Israeli military.
Sapraicone, who is also the founder of a private security company, said he has been interviewed by county Republicans who will select the nominee, with the panel quizzing him on his political stances, his ability to fundraise and quickly launch a campaign.
Like Suozzi, Sapraicone launched his campaign before Santos was expelled and has already begun to fundraise, with his campaign coffers including $300,000 of his own money, he said.
“For us to maintain the House and retain the majority is so important,” Sapraicone said. “It’s so important that New York sets the tone here in February.”
Democrats want to flip at least five House seats in New York next year, with the Santos seat being a potential early indicator of their chances in November.
The party has dedicated significant financial and organizational resources to the state, after a series of losses last year in the New York City suburbs helped Republicans take control of the House and brought down heavy criticism on state Democrats.
President Joe Biden won the district in 2020, but Republicans have notched major electoral gains on Long Island in recent years as moderate suburban voters have gravitated toward the GOP.
In the latest sign of Republican strength on Long Island, the GOP won several local elections on the island last month, including races in the now-vacant district.
Santos was expelled from the House last week following a scandal-plagued tenure in Congress and a looming criminal trial. He is only the sixth member in the chamber’s history to be ousted by colleagues.
veryGood! (25)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Suspect arrested in connection with deadly shooting at high school football game
- Trump enters not guilty plea in Georgia election interference case
- Ousting of Gabon’s unpopular leader was a ‘smokescreen’ for soldiers to seize power, analysts say
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Crown hires ‘Big Little Lies’ publisher Amy Einhorn to boost its fiction program
- Tampa Bay area gets serious flooding but again dodges a direct hit from a major hurricane.
- The US is against a plan set for 2024 to retrieve items from the Titanic wreckage
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- 1 dead, 18 injured after collision between car, Greyhound bus in Maryland, police say
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Iraq court sentences 5 people to life in prison in killing of US citizen, officials say
- Michigan State, Tennessee exhibition hoops game to benefit Maui wildfire charity
- American Airlines flight attendants take key step toward possible strike
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Jada Pinkett Smith Welcomes Adorable New Member to Her and Will Smith's Family
- Trump enters not guilty plea in Georgia election interference case
- Nick Lachey Has Ultimate Reaction to Vanessa Lachey Revealing Her Celebrity Hall Pass
Recommendation
Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
'The Amazing Race' Season 35 cast: Meet the teams racing around the world
Tropical Storm Idalia descends on North Carolina after pounding Florida, Georgia and South Carolina
After Idalia, Florida community reeling from significant flooding event: 'A lot of people that are hurting'
Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
California prison on generator power after wildfires knock out electricity and fill cells with smoke
US applications for jobless claims inch back down as companies hold on to their employees
Judge says former Trump adviser has failed to show Trump asserted executive privilege